unclesu posted: Good luck jack! Rooting for you here (unclesu from FF)
It's just an experiment since I don't consider myself a seasoned automated systems developer. I'm hoping my amature coding skills combined with a very good track record of successful manual trading can preform well.
Hence the lower starting account balance, but if things continue as good as they've been so far I might bump that up quite a bit.
* Strategy was created on my own from scratch. * Used code snippits from around the net to help develop faster. * Not a coder by trade, only had some scripting experience from my old IT career and a few self-interest courses in Python to fall back on. * Absolutely no martingale or other risky betting methods are in use, account and capital preservation are key and the algo will bail on a trade that isn't working out. Size and risk are done dynamically by the Algo, and never increase with drawdown (only increase size as the account grows.) * The algo is not for sale and there is zero commerical intent with this published record. I'm only useing MyFXBook for analytics and to provide a transparent (3rd party confirmed) record for my journal.
Incorrectly set the risk on a new strategy I just enabled for AUDUSD. So the larger gains in the last two days should have been less than half of the profit made.
I was on the right side of the trade results, but had they gone south, it would have hurt. :S
I also have refined the EURUSD strat (well, two of them) and am re-enabling them (I had one running for a bit before, I think it pretty much broke even but took a few more losses in a row than I was expecting so I pulled it to evaluate what might be different between my testing results and live.) By week's end both will be running full steam alongside the new AUDUSD strat.
The strategy I was running on AUDNZD became over-optimized. I had refined it down to a perfect blend, and it performed really well, then it just spun it's wheels for three weeks straight.. gaining ~3%, losing ~3%, gaining it back.. no progress, no constant and steady equity increase like before the first big dip. Curious as to why, I ripped the last 4-5 months of tick data from two different sources and ran my strategy configurations against it. Unlike in the past, it didn't show nearly as promising results. Either I entirely over-optimized (which I've read can be a problem) or the market has simply become more efficient and I can't exploit the same property in that pair anymore. I'm hoping it's not the ladder. :S
So for now, AUDNZD is shelved until I feel confident in it again. I'll be focusing on recent price data to do my testing, and making sure any changes I make also fair well over the last 3+ years. If I can get it kicking ass again I'll put it back on live, twas the strategy that started this journey into algo trading after all.
New journal will be posted on a new site, info coming soon. The people behind ForexFactory do not seem to like me so I feel it's best to move my journal elsewhere.
HIGH RISK WARNING: Foreign exchange trading carries a high level of risk that may not be suitable for all investors.
Leverage creates additional risk and loss exposure. Before you decide to trade foreign exchange, carefully consider your investment objectives, experience level, and risk tolerance.
You could lose some or all of your initial investment. Do not invest money that you cannot afford to lose. Educate yourself on the risks associated with foreign exchange trading, and seek advice from an independent financial or tax advisor if you have any questions.
Any data and information is provided 'as is' solely for informational purposes, and is not intended for trading purposes or advice.
Past performance is not indicative of future results.