In the years 2001 to 2014, as well as in 2016, Argentina recorded trade surpluses, primarily as a result of the export of agricultural products. Due to a halt in export growth and an increase in imports, the balance of payments fell into deficit in 2017 and 2018. Cereals, fats and oils, cattle and related products, and dairy products account for the majority of exports (36% of total exports), followed by motor vehicles and parts (12%), chemicals and related products (7%), and crude oil and fuels (5%). Intermediate products (which account for 29% of total imports), components and accessories for capital goods (20%), capital goods (19%), fuels and lubricants (13%), and motor vehicles (8%) are the most important imports in the country. Brazil (which accounts for 21% of total exports and 29% of total imports), China (which accounts for 7% of exports and 14% of imports), and the United States (which accounts for 5% of exports and 10% of imports) are the country's most important commercial partners.  Chile, Italy, and Spain are among other commercial partners.

A higher than expected figure should be seen as positive (bullish) for the ARS while a lower than expected figure should be seen as negative (bearish) for the ARS.

Category:  Balance of Trade
Units:  Million
Details
Impact: Low
Country:
Currency: ARS
Latest Release
Previous: $1438M
Consensus: -$1037M
Actual: $2059M
Next Release
Date: May 21, 19:00
Time left: 30 days